Acne Treatment

November 14, 2012

Acne Treatment ClaremontWhen most people think of acne, they picture the pimples that are the bane of teenagers everywhere. However, there is more to acne than just pimples, and it is by no means limited to teenagers. For people with certain skin types or conditions, acne can be a lifelong condition. If you have acne, you need to seek acne treatment as soon as possible, in order to make sure minor acne problems don’t turn into major ones.

What is Acne?

Acne is a skin condition caused when the pores become clogged with excess skin oil (sebum). Dead skin cells pile up within the clogged pores, creating whiteheads and blackheads. When normal skin bacteria get inside the pores, they become inflamed, forming a hard papule or a soft pustule (aka pimple). Severe subcutaneous inflammation can cause the formation of cysts or nodules.

Any of these acne symptoms (whiteheads, blackheads, papules, pustules, cysts, or nodules) can be extremely upsetting. Acne is frequently cited as a cause of low self-esteem and even depression. These feelings may not end after each outbreak, especially in severe cases. Any type of acne can leave behind dark spots, which may take months to heal, and cysts and nodules can lead to permanent scarring.

Prescription Acne Treatments

If your mild acne does not respond to over-the-counter products, or if you suffer from severe acne symptoms like cysts or nodules, you may need prescription acne treatment.

A dermatologist can prescribe prescription-strength topical treatments like creams and cleansers. They can also prescribe medication to be taken internally, including antibiotics.

Remember, mild acne can turn into severe acne if left untreated! Don’t fall into the trap of thinking a few pustules are nothing to worry about. You might end up with unsightly dark spots or scars on your skin, or you might develop low self-esteem that will haunt you for the rest of your life. Why risk it when it’s so easy to get professional advice and treatment from a dermatologist?